Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I"s Pure (ep 1)


I"s is one of those manga series that has a big following, but that I'd rather drink paint thinner than read end to end. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against bishoujo, and I'm a fan of romantic plotlines in anime. But watching a guy with no testicles to speak of moping because he can't tell the girl he likes that he likes her, even though it's obvious to everyone from here to Jesus that she's one "daisuki" away from doing the Mattress Mambo with him, is like dragging fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Having said that--I"s Pure isn't all that bad, at least compared to what I remember of the start of the manga. The plotline looks like it's going to be like this: Boy meets Girl, Boy is too gutless to tell her he likes her, Girl misunderstands something and hates Boy, Boy mopes and is unable to set the record straight, third party does it for him, Boy and Girl reconcile, Boy meets Other Girl, complications ensue, et cetera, et cetera--and then I'm going out on a limb and guessing Boy finally gets the First Girl.

This isn't necessarily bad--hell, I liked Kimagure Orange Road and it follows the same formula to a point, dragging out to forty-eight episodes something that could have been settled in two if Kyousuke had more backbone. Or in one episode if someone, for the love of God, had just backed a cement truck over Hikaru. There's a fine line you have to walk, and in the first episode of I"s Pure it's still on the good side of that line.

Of course, at the end of episode 1 of I"s Pure the Other Girl shows up, and I'm sure Iori will be storming out of what's-his-name's house about 42 seconds into episode 2, but a few complications aren't bad. It's when the protagonist tries to confess for the 64th time but at that exact moment a meteorite comes through the roof, bounces off the TV, ricochets off the chandelier, and knocks over his glass of grape juice onto the girl's white dress, ruining the moment but setting up an ecchi scene where she has to change into a T-shirt that's two sizes too small for her...THAT'S when I start getting annoyed. But at only six episodes, I'm hoping I"s Pure won't get to that point.

So I guess if you want to see ecchi, good animation, and the struggle of one heroic dumbass to be with the girl of his dreams, this isn't a bad choice. Even if you haven't read any of the manga, you won't be lost at all, and the character designs are pretty good. I'll keep watching, although I may not be able to finish it without a lot of beer.

Random thought: This really is like KOR, in that half the guys in KOR were wannabe-rapists also. If schools in Japan were really like this, I'd pity Japanese high school girls.

No comments: