Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Insane Ramblings of the Week (#2)
Been a while since I posted, so guess I'll just post a bunch of things at once--so far for the new season it looks like I'll be following Fate/Stay Night, Magikano, and Kashimashi. Downloading Hantsuki now, so that might be another.
- Kagihime 1: A badly animated series about girls who do battle to steal each other's stories to fill the missing pages of the last book in the Alice in Wonderland trilogy. Once complete the book will grant a wish--this is starting to sound like Nanoha A's. Oh, and there's at least one yuri crush, a girl obsessed with her onii-san, and girls who have orgasms when they have a key stuck in their chest. Let's just say if you're looking for a series to introduce your new girlfriend to anime and you have her watch Kagihime then you have chosen...poorly. Debating if I should give it one more episode to see if it gets better, but the first episode was pretty underwhelming.
- Paniponi Dash! 19: A strange virus spreads through the school, causing chaos--kind of reminds me of the virus episode in FMP Fumoffu. This is still the funniest show I've seen in a while, it's a little sad there are just seven episodes left.
- Shana 14: Shana + Chinese dress = the win. Strange to see an episode with no Yuuji and no Kazumi, but Kazumi was getting on my nerves anyway, so maybe it's just as well. I wonder if we'll get any backstory on Shiro, the skeleton Shana was fighting. Flame Hazes get really cool places to train.
- Nanoha As 9-12: Like the first series, Nanoha As continues to do a good job of blurring the line between "good guys" and "bad guys", it's more like the bad guys are people doing bad things for what they believe are good, noble reasons. It's refreshing, since a lot of the time in any kind of storytelling the "bad guys" are shown as pure evil. And Mahou Shojou Hayate-chan should get her own show ^_^
- Mai Otome 11: Nina and Arika face off over Wang. Major Wang. Nina's character seems to be developing in slow motion, since at the start of the series she was obsessed with her father and pretty distant from her classmates and right now...well, she's obessed with her father and distant from her classmates. What are the odds that Nina would lose her watch, only for Mashiro's cat to get the crow that stole it to drop it, at the exact spot Major Wang (*snicker*) was walking by--and then the Wangster happens to run into Arika and Nina in the forest? Well, that's most of Mai Otome episode 11--although there are some ominous things going on, like Windbloom sliding into recession, with unemployment up and Mashiro showing her knowledge of macroeconomic policy by raising taxes. And exactly what Midori's group is going to do to break the Otome system's OPEC-like hold on power. After Mashiro outwits Milfuelle and her chief of staff yet again (don't they have the Secret Service in Windbloom?) she runs into none other than Takumi (if that's his name in this series). Can't wait for the next episode to see how they interact. I hope Mashiro and Takumi hit it off, since it'd be nice for a girl in the cast to have a crush on someone who is not (a) another girl, or (b) a guy who's old enough to go to prison if they actually got together. Yeah, I guess there's Akane, but she doesn't get much screentime.