Sunday, January 08, 2006

Karin 8

I finally watched episode 8 of Karin, and I have to confess--it's been a while since I've seen an anime character I liked less than Weiner. I like Karin, Usui, Anju, Makki (despite her taste in guys), and the rest of the cast, and the premise of the series is interesting, but Winner/Weiner is just irritating to me. I guess he's supposed to be comic relief as the worthless vampire hunter who couldn't pick out a vampire in a stadium full of them. Plus he's a foreigner, and everyone knows gaijin are funny--but when Weiner is on screen I find myself looking at the time, or hoping he'll hurry up and go back to Romania or wherever. Makki's reactions when he keeps calling her "Karin's friend" instead of by name were pretty funny, but that's about the only good thing I can say about him. He's clearly not a serious rival to Usui at all (well, HE'S serious, but I can't imagine Karin ever liking him). He's not much of a threat as a vampire hunter. If they dumped him and added in a real vampire hunter for Usui and Karin to match wits with, or gave Usui a real rival for Karin's affections (a vampire childhood friend? her mom sets up an arranged marriage?) I think the show would be better. Maybe later on Weiner will get more competent, or Makki will go all angsty since Weiner can't even remember her name and she'll start dropping boxcutters on Karin, but I doubt it. The Usui-Karin moments in episode 8 were well done, as usual--I'm still liking the series, I'm just starting to feel a little disappointed that it's not as good as it could be. I'll just hope next episode Weiner gets run over by a cement truck.

No comments: