Thursday, January 26, 2006

Urusei Yatsura (end)

Today I finally watched the last episode of Urusei Yatsura (UY), the classic anime series from the 80s based on the manga by Rumiko Takahashi (who also drew Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Inu Yasha). It's hard to believe it's actually over--I think I put my preorder in for the first 5-DVD box set of UY back in 1999, and since then UY has always been on my list of upcoming anime to buy. Now, 62 DVDs later, the series is over, and it's been a really fun ride. UY is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, and while as with any series long or short some episodes are better than others, as a whole it's definitely in my top five anime of all time. What really makes it a great series is the cast, which is huge, I guess as you'd expect with a series this long. Compared to your average 13 or 26 episode series, UY's cast is probably three or four times the size, and since it ran for so long even the minor characters get a lot of screentime when you add it up over the course of the show's run. I'd try to describe the general plot of the series, but Tomobiki-cho does a much, much better job of this than I ever could.

If I have any complaint with UY, it'd probably be the ending--maybe because the cast is so big, a lot of questions don't get the definite answers I'd like to have seen. Do Lum and Ataru ever get married for real? Does Shinobu wind up with Inaba? Does Ryunosuke ever get to wear a serafuku? Does Asuka get over her phobia of guys? Takahashi wrote a good, solid ending for Maison Ikkoku so I know she can do it--it would have been nice to see everyone graduate from Tomobiki High, and if everyone who looked like they'd pair up eventually actually paired up...written well, it could have been an awesome ending. Although UY movie 5, which was based on the manga's ending, wasn't bad, it doesn't really answer anything other than that deep down Ataru cares about Lum (which we already knew).

Overall, Urusei Yatsura has been a fun series to watch though--my list of upcoming DVDs I want to pick up looks kind of empty now that UY is gone. UY had a big part in getting me into anime, and for that alone I'll always have a soft spot for it.


And yes, Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku gets a quick cameo in the last ep of UY :)

1 comment:

Annony said...

I freaking read all 15 volumes of the manga watched all the episodes ovas and movies

and I hate Rumiko Takashi so much
it didn't have a proper conlcusion or ending

Ruined the whole thing for me

Ataru never told Lum he loved her
Ataru and Lum never even shared a proper kiss in the manga !!!