Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Random Anime Thoughts

"'She can't do much', eh, Sakura-chan? Howd'ya like me now, bee-atch!"

It's hard to believe in a little over a month the spring season will be upon us, with something like 6,000 shows airing, or at least it feels like it. Don't believe me? Just look at this list. Hopefully this doesn't mean to crank out this insane a quantity of anime Japan is offshoring every piece of every show, and we're looking at Negima-episode-10-quality animation for everything. If that happens I'll grab a red pen, fly to Japan, and start checking cels myself. Hell, I've seen Animation Runner Kuromi episodes one AND two multiple times, so I think I've got the skillz.

Some random thoughts on anime I'm watching now, since clearly I'm not capable of blogging ANYTHING episode by episode:

Binchou-tan (through ep 2): Binchou-tan lives in the woods. She's very nice, and her diet consists of mostly rice. She lives alone, but she's not lonely because she finally runs into other people in ep 2. She can change her size at will, but DAMN that bird bus screwed her the hell over dropping her through a tree. I don't take the bus often, but in my world they come to a complete stop first when I do, unless I've REALLY pissed the bus driver off somehow. It's like taking a flight and the flight attendant picks you up, yells 'thank you for flying United' and throws you the hell out the door screaming before they even get the landing gear down. With Binchou-tan's work conditions I'm guessing by episode 5 or so she'll be reading Karl Marx on the bus ride to work--I thought my job sucked at times, but at least I get a salary and a health plan, while Binchou-tan has to work inside a rice cooker and people's smelly shoes. You have nothing to lose but your chains, Binchou-tan.

Da Capo Second Season (through ep 24): Once again, Sakura proves to not be very good at judging how powerful magic is. If I were Junichi I would go to Home Depot, buy a chainsaw, and take that sakura tree the hell down once and for all, grandma or no. I mean, sure, the tree that tried to destroy your relationship with your girlfriend TWICE has sentimental value I'm sure, but it's got to go. Explosives would do the job equally well. Looking at Tamaki's shrine, I think that's where I'd like to retire--it's got an ocean view, lots of room, on an island where probably no one works overtime...I'm sure the hill would get old, but one would keep in better shape that way. And Kudo-kun is SO a girl. Too bad we'll probably never get her backstory, there's got to be a reason she acts like a guy but we won't find out in this series.

Da Capo II: Not out yet, but the website is up (in Japanese). The game doesn't even have a release date yet, but since I've liked both anime iterations of Da Capo, I hope this gets an anime series as well. The characters are the grandchildren of the original cast, and you can definitely see the resemblance in some of them. Kind of a cool concept, continuity-wise. Although this time future-Kotori better win, damn it ^_^.

Fate/Stay Night (through ep 7): Shirou has harem problems--for a moment I thought this was D.C.S.S. I can see why Saber has fans, but Rin has to get the win here. They should put her picture in the entry for tsundere in Wikipedia.

Kage Kara Mamoru (through ep 5): Yuuna reminds me more of Milfuelle from Galaxy Angel every episode. Although in Yuuna's case, her good fortune is entirely the result of hard work by Mamo-kun, and not insanely good luck. I'm not sure if Yuuna or Milfuelle is dumber, but if you added their IQs together the smart money says you wouldn't break single digits. That banana song she sung in episode 4 actually got stuck in my head for days. I'm not sure what that says about me. Ba-na-na...ba-na-na, Ba-na-na, ba-na-na, Ba-na-na ba-na-na de!

Lemon Angel Project (through ep 3): The title makes it sound like tentacles will be involved, but through the third episode it's a better show than I expected--nothing spectacular, but interesting. Unfortunately, this isn't getting the lightening speed 'out before it airs in Japan' treatment so many fans have come to expect, but since this is definitely in the less popular category I'm just glad someone is subbing it, period. Tomo is such a dead ringer for Akari from Aria.

Magikano (through ep 6): I just re-watched all of 2x2 Shinobuden, so I won't say Magikano is the funniest series I've ever seen, but it's up there. Definitely the biggest surprise for me this season, one look at the character designs and I was expecting 'kill me now, another Tenshi no Shippo' but no, Magikano takes insane comedy to new levels. Episode 7, according to an animated gif I saw on the internet, has the most painful looking ball-stomping scene ever, up there with Bonta-kun taking out that gangster in Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.


Pani Poni Dash (through ep 21): I wish Shoujo Q was the OP song for the whole series, I could pretty much put it on endless repeat in iTunes all day. Especially if the banana song is stuck in my head and I need to get it out. I'll be sad when it's over, this is another hilarious show, it has to take the all-time record for most references to other shows/manga/movies/everything.

Rec (through ep 2): Aka is teramoe, and the basic setup of this is pretty cool--glad to see after they slept together at the end of ep 1 (SHOCK THE ONSOKUMARU!) it's settled into a more typical pattern. Poor Fumihiko-san, he gets one night of heaven and now he's in the doghouse.

Shagukan no Shana (through ep 16): I know it's blasphemy to the legions of Shana fans to say this, but I'm losing interest in this show. Maybe I just don't like Kazumi and her angsting, or the action's getting repetitive, or Yuuji's waffling is annoying me, but think I'll give myself a break from watching this. To be honest, it's just paling by comparison to Fate/Stay Night in the story department, no matter how moe Shana is.

No comments: