Saturday, December 30, 2006

Shiori: Sick Bishoujo or Not So Much?

Watching Kanon I'm coming to the inescapable conclusion that Shiori isn't really sick at all. I know better from watching the Toei series, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't show any signs of being sick whatsoever. I'm not a licensed diagnostician or anything, but let's look at the evidence:

- She doesn't cough.
- She doesn't faint or stagger aimlessly (like Nayuki in the morning.)
- She doesn't seem to have a fever.
- She doesn't suddenly wake up in the middle of a street with no memory of how she got there (like Nayuki).
- She doesn't sound sick.
- She doesn't look sick.
- She carries a lot of pills but we never see her take any, and she doesn't act like she's stoned out of her mind.
- She eats ice cream in the snow.
- She allegedly can't go to school because she's sick, but this doesn't stop her from standing outside the school practically every single day.
- She stands the hell outside, in the snow, for hours on end wearing nothing but a sweater, short skirt, and a shawl. Sure, I've seen Icelanders walk around in T-shirts and shorts when it's 45F out, but Shiori's dressed like it's January in Los Angeles, and there's enough snow on the ground it's got to be cold out. Unless she's keeping warm thinking about all the different positions she could try with Yuichi in the gym equipment storage shed, I'm thinking she should be a Shioricicle by now.

Especially based on the last piece of evidence, I think Shiori's not really sick at all. She just enjoys cutting school and thinks the 'sick bishoujo in snow' ploy puts her on the express shinkansen to getting some action from Yuichi's man-lance. All those pills in her bag probably include something to knock Yuichi the heck out so she can have her way with him, just in case all else fails.

More seriously, I'm really liking Kyoani's Kanon--the only problems I have with it are more faults of the genre than with what Kyoani's doing. It's sad that Makoto just vanished completely out of Yuichi's consciousness after ep 10, but given they have to cycle through all the girls' stories it's probably unavoidable. If I lost someone that close to me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be back to cracking jokes in the very next episode like nothing happened, but maybe Yuichi's just a lot more resilient. And if he spent the next 10 episodes getting over Makoto leaving--well, the series would be almost over.

I still picture Yuichi as Kyon and half-expect to see Haruhi dragging him down the hallway by his collar, but I guess that just shows how much I want to see Haruhi second season.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice analysis. I would go as far as making the title of this post to be "Shiori: Sick Bishoujo or Scheming Slut?" But that's just me. :)

ojisan said...

It works equally well if you figure that she's pretending to be less sick than she is, don't you think?

I breathed a sigh of relief when she turned up last episode in at least a turtleneck (plus the obligatory checkered blanket) - she seems to be warm no matter how cold it is outside, and eats ice cream while sitting in the snow - strange, no? Has Kyon touched her yet? I'll bet she's hot as a piston - literally as well as figuratively.

Anonymous said...

but nayuki stands outside in her short short skirt just fine =)

she doesnt seem to get sick

suguru said...

Yeah, a winter uniform that involves miniskirts in a place it snows a lot seems odd...but that's OK with me :)

Her story seemed to get blown through pretty fast in the Toei version, so really looking forward to seeing what Kyoani does with Shiori's arc, I'm assuming now that Mai's is almost over she'll be up to bat next.