Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Yoakena: Insane Rant Full of Hatred

Which one of you sons of bitches drew me cross-eyed?

Maybe I'm not quite INSANE with hate for it, but the Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na ~Cabbage Love~ anime has definitely filled me with an irrational desire to break the drawing hand of everyone involved in it. It seems like the whole world has been kicking the Yoakena anime down since the infamous cabbage scene, but I'm not above piling on so here goes.

About the best thing I can say for Yoakena is that it's over--which is something I don't say about much anime. You can say my standards are low, or what have you, but it takes a lot for me to dislike an anime series. There are types of anime that I don't watch for the most part, like mecha, but if there's even a shred of romance/comedy potential I'll watch it. I'm not proud to admit it, but this season I'm even watching Lovely Idol. Yoakena in some ways was set up to fail the moment I saw the CGs--AugustSoft seems to have an uncanny ability to come up with character designs that are so moe they threaten to make your monitor, yourself, and anything within 100 feet of them spotaneously burst into flames. When I first heard it was being animated, I was excited just because I liked Hanihani, which is also from AugustSoft--Hanihani's plot gets a little out there, but I really liked the characters and was hoping Yoakena's anime could pull the same thing off, or even better. Little did I know...


I could post an endless stream of botched images from the anime (with the exception of episode 1), but I think the 4-koma from danbooru above is all the example I can stomach. Sure, anime artwork is never going to be the same level as a still CG, but it's like they didn't even TRY. When you have a series that let's face it, focuses on bishoujo, it should be common sense not to draw them like you're drawing Hideous Mutant Slugs from the Planet Fugly. I'd rather they'd just panned slowly over the CGs for twenty minutes than watch the eye-searing cross-eyed, square-headed, deformed monstrosities that the cast became. If they didn't have the budget to do a decent job on a 12 episode series, do an OVA instead--sure, short OVAs tend to give side characters the shaft, but you can still come up with a decent story, just look at Mizuiro.
Siscon, anyone?

It's not just the animation though, that ultimately made Yoakena disappointing for me. The story is also, and maybe this is typical of August's stuff although I haven't played the games, not exactly Kanon material. Tatsuya meets Feena, they fall in love, really one-dimensional bad guy tries to stop them, they prevail, the end. I don't expect anime to make me think profound thoughts all the time, it's entertainment after all, but this just fell flat for me. There was too much nose-pinching, not enough chemistry between Feena and Tatsuya, not enough drama when Natsumi realized she'd 'lost' him to Feena, too much 'wouldn't it be funny if Feena was Rambo', and WAY too much of that photographer dude. I remember somewhere back in the 80s my English teacher telling us that there was nothing easier than writing purely evil bad guys in a story, but if you want to create an interesting character you need to give them realistic motivations, and a background that explains the way they are. I know, we're talking about a anime series based on a game where the ultimate goal is to nail every female character in sight, not Shakespeare, but the blond guy was so bad he was inadvertently comical.

I started Yoakena hoping for decent (Hanihani-level, I wasn't expecting Kyoani) animation, a good story, and a love triangle with at least a little drama--but instead got...a mess. The sad thing is I like the characters enough, that I can't honestly say I hated the anime, overall it was still worth watching. Once.

Someday...Kyoto Animation will do a remake...kitto...

4 comments:

Os said...

Hm, I guess it's a good thing I stopped after episode 1? I wasn't much into it despite the fact that I'm a romance loving type guy. I think I'll just stay away... nice eyes, I noticed.

That said...

DARN, good for you, Os. I have to torture myself for 4 episodes before dropping the darn accursed series.

FLAME THE SHOW MORE!!! RAWR XD

<-- yes, impzie is evil

Impz

Adun said...

Lucky for you that you dropped it after 4 episodes. I watched through the whole damn thing. It really is such a disappointment on how YoakeNa turned out as I was hoping for a romance drama, but we didn't get that. We got something that I can barely think of words for at the moment as I'm still appalled about.

suguru said...

lol...looks like I'm not alone at being disappointed with it...