Friday, September 28, 2007

Da Capo II - Promo Video

Thanks to jwthechamp on the AnimeSuki forums for posting the link to the short video for Da Capo II at Crunchyroll (you have to sign up for a free account to view it). I'm glad to see feel is using character designs that I really like, similar to D.C.S.S. and Otoboku's, and hopefully the animation quality will be top-notch.

Da Capo II (or "D.C. II"--no relation to the city with "Taxation Without Representation" license plates) is the latest iteration of the Da Capo franchise, set two generations in the future from the first Da Capo, with many of the cast being grandchildren of the original Da Capo characters. Although I'm sure Key fans would violently disagree, I'm actually looking forward to this more than Clannad. I let myself be spoiled on the general plot of D.C. II--I'm not about to give anything away, but I think it could be better and more dramatic than the original. Of course, if you're too good for bishoujo series and think all anime should be deeper and more profound than the Mariana Trench, you'd be better off re-watching Lighter than White, or whatever it is the serious people watch.

Yume appears first--does this mean Yume gets The Win? Or am I overanalyzing? She'll be voiced by Yui Horie of Kanon, To Heart, Love Hina and eight-billion-other-series fame, so next year's Saimoe better watch the hell out.

Otome! My first choice for 'winner' of the series, which probably guarantees she won't win. Pink ribbons are so moe it's amazing the screen doesn't just burst the hell into flames when she's on camera.

Sakura, the youngest-looking obaasan ever. If her secret for not looking older ever got out, the multi-billion dollar anti-wrinkle cream industry would go knockers up in a New York minute.

If you were a Kotori fan in the first Da Capo, there's Shirakawa Nanaka in D.C. II, who I'm guessing is her granddaughter. Probably stands a snowball's chance in hell of winning though...

Did someone say Clannad will be better than D.C. II?

8 comments:

Hinano said...

LOL I'll probably be watching both - but based on Kanon and the fact that the Clannad game made me cry multiple times, I'd be surprised if this was a better show. *violently disagrees with a kitchen knife*

suguru said...

Hinano> You've been watching too much School Days if you're busting out the kitchen knife already ;) I don't mind having some dramatic/sad scenes in anime, and I loved both Toei and Kyonai's versions of Kanon, but I think Clannad may be over the line into "too sad/depressing for me to enjoy watching" territory. Hell, I think just reading your write-up of the game's plot almost made me cry...

Stripey said...

WOAH! Thanks for the link! It's short but nice. Would have loved to hear the characters speak though.

I LUUURVE FEEL's character art. Frankly I'm more suited to DCSS and Otoboku's character art than KyoAni's Kanon or AIR though both are beautiful. So yeah, in this dept, I think DCII beats Clannad.

But storywise, I doubt it'd better than Da Capo. Firstly there's no real siscon (yeah, the siscon in me objects XD) diminishing this powerful plot device where intense drama can be born of. Second, it's not handled by ZEXCS who does drama better than FEEL even though they did admirably for Otoboku. Lastly, the most powerful tale in the series suprisingly isn't the 2 sisters but again, you-know-who's :P and it'd take some good writing to weave it into the sisterly conflicts to keep the story flow.

Still your entry has increased my anticipation for the series. :)

suguru said...

stripey> Yeah, I'm a big fan of their character designs too--I love Kyoani, but I'd have to agree I liked the DCSS and Otoboku character designs better than Kanon's. Just a few more days to wait...this is one series I'll watch the first episode of raw even though I know I'll only get about 5% of what they're saying...

I'm probably setting my sights too high hoping it could top the original's story, but I hope they can pull it off.

meganeshounen said...

*cries in happiness*

It does look a lot like Otoboku... hopefully, that's a certainly good thing. ^_^

Adun said...

I'll have to watch this when I get home later tonight, but seeing the screen shots makes me all excited. D.C.II is on equal level with Clannad for me as I'm both a Key and Circus fan. But I agree with Stripey, I don't think the story could be better than Clannad unless feel pull the right strings to make this an awesome series. No doubt in my heart it'll be awesome regardless the outcome.

suguru said...

So far so good after the first episode...they surprised me already, now it's hard to predict where they'll go with it, but still hoping this will be awesome.

BleicKz said...

I just watched Da capo 2 ep 2, and i have to say it's pretty annoying when the friends of koko and sakurai are trying to interfere in the relationship at every second in the screen :/.

i hate that is so "·@%·$&!.. you get the point @.@