Friday, December 12, 2008

Toradora 11 Ramblings

Three great moments from episode 11 of Toradora:

First, the palmtop tiger losing traction on Aisaka's Chinese dress (in Ryuuji's imagination). I don't know why this cracked me up, maybe I'm a sucker for slapstick. Ryuuji's comment immediately afterwards that if they went with Chinese dresses for the Culture Festival he'd have to be sewing in breast pads again was funny too...poor Taiga...


Second, Ryuuji being the only one who's excited about supermarket coupons. Ryuuji is such an okusan (housewife), Taiga hit it right on the head at the end of episode 10. Toradora definitely has no shortage of unique characters, I don't think we'll ever see a leading character like Ryuuji again, a guy who looks like a delinquent but in reality is a cooking/cleaning/sewing machine.

Third, the emotional scene between Taiga and Ryuuji at the end--it's a rare series that can make me laugh and bring a tear to my eye in the same episode, but Toradora does manage to pull it off. Again, I think it's the strength of the characters that really makes it work.

Yuri-sensei was pretty funny this episode too--thanks to Kurogane for pointing out she has the same seiyuu as Maria in Hayate no Gotoku, somehow that makes her even funnier.

No comments: