Monday, February 15, 2010

Sora no Woto 7: Just, Wow

Wow....for anyone who gave up on Sora no Woto because you thought it was going to be just slice of life and happy, without delving into the horrors of war at all, episode 7 is here to change your mind.

Going into this episode, Felicia was probably the biggest enigma of the cast to me - she's the mom-type character who watches over everyone else, but she didn't have a whole lot of depth. This episode changes all that, as you see what she went through during the war, her guilt at surviving the battle, and her despair at defending a dying world. This episode wouldn't have worked without the six that came before it, either - building the peaceful setting of Seize and everyone's everyday lives gave the actual scenes of the war that much more impact by contrast.

I'm impressed with Felicia's character too, going through what she did but still coming out with a positive message - maybe the world doesn't have any grand design or deeper meaning to it, but that just means you have the opportunity to make that meaning for yourself. I'd expected an episode like this more towards the end of the series, but not this soon - hopefully we get more background on Rio and Kureha's pasts too, and of course the legend and the winged demon, which I'd be shocked if it doesn't come in to play the last couple episodes. The mystery blond solider whose name was finally revealed this episode I'm sure will appear again too - a lot to look forward to, this is remaining the series I'm looking forward to the most every week, and it's getting to be a really interesting ride.

3 comments:

Yumeka said...

I was impressed by this episode, too. It proves that the show isn't just about "military moe" but has a real story and deep messages to convey. Looking forward to the rest of it!

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more, this episode completely blew me out of the water. Since the first episode, I've thought there have been deeper veins of story flowing through a seemingly simple slice-of-life romp in a strange fantasy world, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. I eagerly await what the series plans to do. Absolutely amazing.

Anonymous said...

For me, I didn't connect with the old lady's story so much personally as I did with it as one of what must have been tens of thousands of similar stories following a war - People waiting for a loved one, with no idea whether that wait is in vain.

As for the ending, I think it was more of a good-bye to Rio above all else, although it was left pretty wide open to interpretation.

regards,
misterhex
www.animeshippuuden.com