Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to the Past: A Certain Index Who Gets Her Limelight Stolen by a Certain Biri-Biri

Too cute...which sets up the kick in the gut a couple minutes later...

An entire season of anime has come and gone since I blogged last, and honestly real life makes it difficult to keep up with all the other anime blogs out there, of which 99% I'm pretty sure are much better than what I could write anyway. This creates a vicious spiral of not-blogging, but since I have some free time at work I might as well break the cycle for a quick post.

Maybe this is unique to me, but every once in a while I end up going back and watching something I dropped months, or even years ago, and I find myself getting into it and struggling to remember why I dropped it. This month's case of this is To Aru Majutsu no Index, which I think I bailed on after episode 6 or 7 when it first aired - if I remember right there was talking, a lot of talking, sometimes in the middle of what's supposed to be an action sequence, and in the end the next episode just sat on my hard drive, forlon and forgotten, like a condom in an otaku's wallet.

See if you can spot the psychopath...I can just picture Accelerator walking into a courtroom at the start of his trial and the jury foreman takes one look, stands up and says, "guilty as hell on all counts, Your Honor."

Anyway, I picked Index back up at episode 10, since I knew Mikoto and the sisters were going to get an arc, and now I'm hooked. I don't know if the second half of the series is going to let me down or not, but I'm cautiously optimistic now. I think the setting just really clicks for me - the mysteries of Academy City, the somewhat realistic regulation of ESPers (reminds me of "Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu no Damn This Series Has a Long Name" a little), and so on.

Is there a point to this post, you might ask? I guess just that sometimes, for me anyway, the passage of time, and moving to a new story arc, can turn a series that you can't force yourself to watch into something where you're actually looking forward to the next episode.

"Misaka, I can't let you die...a harem with just a loli nun is like a beefbowl without the beef"

2 comments:

Author said...

Funny how the final RandomC post is on the mini-aggregator panel.

suguru said...

Fixed - yet another sign of neglect on my part...