Thursday, August 12, 2010

To Aru Majutsu no Index: Thoughts on eps 10-14

The obligatory servicey pic to go along with the post...

So he kills 10,031 bishoujo and all Accelerator gets is his ass kicked by Touma? I must be more vindictive than most, but seeing how he delighted in killing the Sisters, all of whom were significantly weaker than he was (at Level 3 instead of Level 5), I was hoping he'd be at least maimed, if not killed. Yeah, it was part of an "experiment" but what did the scientists involved do, hold a gun to his head? If he had any decency he'd have said hell, no. I'd have loved to see a scene that started with something like: "'I hear having your testicles crushed by a hammer is extremely painful,' says Misaka, a trace of righteous anger in her voice as she pulls out a large hammer." I've read spoilers that indicate later on Accelerator becomes one of the "good guys" but I'm baffled at how the psychopath we saw in these episodes could possibly turn over a new leaf after having a few swimming pools' worth of blood on his hands - maybe I'll find out later this season, or in the second season this fall.

After this arc my respect for Touma went up several notches, though - he's not quite Kamina level, but close. Plus his mad street fighting skills were put to very good use here. Hitting lots of Biri-Biri flags this arc too, can't help thinking Touma x Biri-Biri is a better couple than Touma x Index...

Totally unrelated, but glad to see Author and Kurogane both enjoying Sorakake - it didn't seem to get a lot of love when it aired, but I've been re-watching it lately and somehow it's one of those series I almost enjoy more the second time around.

2 comments:

deaky said...

Yeah, Accelerator's one messed up bastardo. But he kinda gets his when they have him pet the dog a bit later.

As for Touma, if they laid off on him being so preachy, especially in mid-battle, he'd actually be one of my favorite shounen leads. "Fukou da" is in my list of best shounen catchphrases, anyway.

suguru said...

"Fukou da" is a good catchphrase...although I'm sure a lot of Index and Mikoto fans would consider him anything but unfortunate...