Sunday, April 03, 2011

Nichijou - First Impression

I haven't watched the Nichijou OVA, so the first episode was my introduction to the series - I went into it with very low expectations, given the consensus in the blogosphere seemed to be that the OVA was about as exciting as watching paint dry.  However, probably helped by low expectations, to my surprise I didn't look at the clock once while watching the first episode - it was actually pretty fast-paced and entertaining for me.

Nichijou is not Lucky Star, although you could say the animation is kind of similar, and it's not Azumanga Daioh either - I guess the best way to describe it is if all of Azumanga was as weird as the scenes with Chiyo-chan's dad in them, although unfortunately Nichijou is minus Wakamoto Norio.

What Nichijou does have is the scion of a farming family riding to school on a goat, a little girl genius professor (I keep thinking of Becky when I see her...), a robot girl with a wind-up key on her back (where the key only exists to make her big toe shoot off at high speed when it's wound), salmon falling from the sky...and that's only a small fraction of the total weirdness to be found in this episode.  It's like someone wrote a slice-of-life series after taking more opium than Coleridge did to write Kubla Khan.  (See, I can do pretentious literary references too - sure it was in the 80s, but I did pay attention in AP English and shit.)

In short, if you're hoping anime blogs will tell you if Nichijou is good or not, you're probably screwed, because I get the feeling this is the kind of series half the world will like and the other half will hate and think is stupid, without even introducing the polarizing effect of Kyoani into the picture.  If you like your comedy very, very random, then this might be right up your alley.  If you hate things that are weird for no discernible reason, then you should probably avoid it like the plague. 

But in the end, I give Kyonai credit so far - they took a series I was expected to hate and kept me watching from beginning to end.  I doubt this will be anywhere close to my favorite of the spring season, especially given all the competition, but it's kept me entertained so far.

No comments: