Part 2 of the spring midterms post - because it's Friday afternoon, and if you're trapped in a cubicle anyway, you might as well entertain yourself writing, I think...
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
- Best cast I've seen this season. Erio is almost moe enough to make my laptop spontaneously combust, Ryuushi is pretty fun to watch, Maekawa's nasu outfit cracks me up, and Meme is like Ami-chan from Toradora on crack. The male lead isn't a spineless wimp who's inexplicably surrounded by girls either. +4
- I like writing in my free time, but to be honest I suck at it - it's always hard for me to come up with a truly original story, so when I see something like Denpa Onna I end up awestruck. Not that it's 100% original, but the whole thing with Erio losing her memories, the futon pizza-eating, aliens, and so on - I don't think in a million years I'd come up with this. +2
- The bike ride over the cliff. +1
- Shaft completely crushing my fears this would be all distance shots and random frames of real-life food, alarm clocks, and such. Animation quality isn't perfect, since ep 4 the first half especially seemed like the B-team was drawing the facial expressions, but when it looks good, it looks, very, very good. And the scenes around town actually remind me of the last time I was in Japan, they're not cutting corners on backgrounds. +1
- No idea where they're going with the plot - will it turn out aliens really are involved? Or will this be like Haruhi if everyone was just quirky and Nagato wasn't an alien, Koizumi wasn't an ESPer, Mikuru was just ditzy, and Haruhi just got bored easily? I kind of hope we'll have that Asakura Ryoko moment where it'll turn out there really is something going on, but right now I have no idea, and that keeps me watching the clock for the next episode. +2
- Awesome character designs. Yes, I'm a sucker for good character designs. +1
- Animation a little weak in spots in episode 4, facial expressions just a little off. But given everything else about this series I like, it just seems like quibbling to even bring it up. -1
Total Seishun Points: +10 - I think this is very likely to be my favorite anime of the season.
- Interesting premise, with our heroine sent back to the Warring States (sengoku) period of Japanese history. +1
- Hideyoshi's a good heroine, fun to watch how she deals with life in a different era. +1
- Talking dog - thought this could suck, but he's actually pretty funny. +1
- Good character designs, and the animation quality isn't bad either, for an anime based on a pachinko game especially. +1
- After the first couple episodes, I get less and less motivated to watch this every week. I guess the 'collect all the armor parts and conquer the land' plot is...well, a little lacking. -2
- Tokunyan is evil, but not for any good reason - there's pretty much zero character development. -1
Total Seishun Points: +1 - on the cusp of getting dropped, but hoping the plot will get more interesting once the armor's all collected. We don't know why Hideyoshi's teacher is back there yet either.
- Victorique (Victorica?) is awesome. Has attitude, brains, and moe, a deadly combination. I'd probably spend 24 minutes a week watching this even if it was just Victorique playing Scrabble the whole time. +4
- Kazuya - some people complain he whines a lot, but let's face it, he had serious balls in the Queen Berry arc and is a good combination with Victorique. +3
- Setting. Saubure's a cool location, with the mountains, the impossibly tall library, the old-school European buildings, and so on. +1
- Drill hair. +1
- The "mystery" parts are...kind of weak. I guess it's good it's not something needlessly elaborate like some episodes of Detective Conan, but if you're a big mystery fan, you'd probably be let down. -1
- Avril. She's not a bad character, but do we really need a fake love triangle here, when we've already established Kazuya and Victorique are rabu-rabu? -1
- Fortune-teller dude at the Grey Wolf village - separating Kazuya and Victorique is not acceptable, WWII or no. -1
Total Seishun Points: +6 - somehow feels like losing a little steam since the first cour, but have high hopes for the rest of the series. Another reason to look forward to Fridays.