Friday, December 09, 2011

Idolmaster 23: Wow

This episode definitely surprised me at the end - the cynical side of me says the Producer ending up in the hospital is a cheap ploy to add drama, but hey, it worked. Most of the episode we see Haruka feeling down because her time with everyone else at 765Pro keeps slipping away, a victim of their busy schedules not allowing time to practice for the New Year's show, and their Sunday show where they all got to be together getting the axe. Throw in Haruka getting shot down by Miki's "you're my rival for the lead in the play, so I'm not 'doing my best' with you, I'm getting the lead so I can show off to Honey" and even Haruka's going to have trouble staying upbeat.

I've got to think from last episode Haruka does like the Producer - so for him to get hurt saving her has to be especially hard to take. Miki's the type that's likely to go off on Haruka next episode blaming her for what happened, although I'm sure Haruka blames herself already. I don't think there's any doubt the Producer's not going to die, but we're definitely set up for some more good drama next week.
I'm giving Producer-san a failing grade for time management though - it's his job to manage their schedules, Haruka shouldn't be the one trying to get them together to practise. 765Pro may need to hire more than just two producers, I'm sure there'll be a long line of otaku applying for the job.

Miki was pretty obnoxious this episode - while you can say she probably has the right attitude for someone in the cutthroat world of show business, it's still not an attitude I like. She's worried about the Producer at the end, but I'd bet instead of consoling Haruka or trying to understand she feels guilty, Miki's just going to lash out at her and pile on the blame.

I'd be surprised if Haruka's "I...." to the Producer was a confession, it was probably more like "I really want everyone to get to practise and do their best for the concert" but hey, I can dream. Will she get to tell the Producer what she was trying to say then? Will she drop out of 765Pro only to get brought back by the Producer and everyone else? Will I actually get the Haruka x Producer-san ending I've been hoping for? Damn, it's going to be a long wait for next week...

2 comments:

Tsuki said...

"Wow" is probably one of the best ways to describe how I felt after finishing this episode. While Idolmaster hasn't really been a top priority for me, this was the first time that I was genuinely surprised by this show. The way in which the emotions unraveled in this episode was fantastic.

What made this a surprise, though, is how it came without any major foreshadowing. Chihaya's arc was strong too, but that one had a ton of buildup and time to set things up. This arc feels more like an unexpected curveball.

suguru said...

True...Chihaya's arc felt like you could see it coming from space since they kept dropping little hints, but the end of this episode and the accident just came out of nowhere for me too. Next episode should be a good one...