Monday, March 19, 2012

Ano Natsu de Matteru 11

I'm really, really going to miss Ano Natsu when it's over - it's just managed to get more epic with each episode.  Having said that, I think it's also just the right length - two cours and it'd probably feel too drawn out.  This episode we have Ichika pondering giving up before thanks to encouragement from her friends deciding to go up against the entire rest of the Universe and the chase scene that follows, as they race to the place from Ichika's memory in the hopes of keeping her on Earth.  Kaito offering to leave the Earth with her earlier was a pretty ballsy move, after all, he's offering to give up everything he knows just for her - if he hadn't declared he loved her already, she'll know for sure now.  Tetsurou gets props for riding a motorcycle out of the back of a moving van as a decoy too.

Tetsurou asks Mio out as they're being pursued by the drone.  I'm reminded of that first episode of Tower of Druaga satirizing the whole RPG genre, where Utu tells everyone he's getting married, and promptly gets killed.  Haven't you heard of death flags, Tetsurou?  Although this isn't that kind of anime...

Poor Kanna - I feel bad she's the one left out, but it's pretty awesome of her to volunteer to be a decoy too, for Kai's happiness's sake.  And honestly, Tetsurou and Mio make a better couple in my book anyway.  Kanna can't possibly compete with hadaka apron and hadaka panda power.

And Remon's van has ROBOT PUNCH.  I'm pretty sure that is not an option at Hertz, Avis, or any other rental car place.  I'm expecting an anime Will Smith making a cameo next episode, although someone would probably sue JC Staff then.  Remon, who exactly do you work for?  CIA?  MIB?  Vesper?  A Mahoro cameo would be cool, but I'm asking for too much there...

And we end on a cliffhanger, of course.  If I were betting on the finale, I'd say they make it to Ichika's special place (did that just sound ero?) but Ichika still has to go back but promises to return as soon as she gets done testifying to the Uncivilized Planets Committee of the Galactic Federal Senate or something, and the next summer she shows up at Kai's front door.  You can call this predictable, but it's still been a lot of fun to watch, with a great cast and a story that has yet to have a boring or "filler" episode.  It's just the kind of series that makes me thank Haruhi I became an anime fan.

2 comments:

Zyl said...

LOL Tetsurou raising a death flag - I am *really* glad that this isn't that kind of anime. Mostly because it would make Mio sad.

Kanna got a bad deal so far but I'm happy she got it off her chest in a dignified way and I'm sure she will have plenty of other suitors waiting in the wings.

Lemon-senpai's van beats the Hyakki Yakou's Konbi in Shana Final any day!

suguru said...

LOL - Lemon-sempai's van definitely does...