Monday, April 16, 2012

Spring Season Impressions - Week 2



Somehow it seems like every season, it's easy to find time to watch everything, but virtually impossible to find time to blog about it.  Maybe this is why Twitter and the like are popular with the young'uns, because how much effort is it to come up with, what, 140 characters?  I'm at double that right now and haven't even finished this paragraph, though, so clearly my brain is NOT wired to be that brief.

So without further ado, here are some spring impressions, compacted into one post for laziness brevity's sake.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: Just...awesome.  HP Lovecraft references, parody, Miya-chan's seiyuu - this is pretty much everything I was hoping for.  They'll have to seriously screw up for this not to be my favorite of the season when it's all over.

Sengoku Collection: The Nobunaga episode was good.  But Ieyasu feels like an Idolmaster ripoff, only not as good without Harurun and the twins.  If they get back to the Nobunaga plot I'll be happy, but I have a bad feeling until then we're in for Sentimental Journey-type individual stories of Sengoku warlords making it as bishoujo in the real world.  Jury's out on this one.

Medaka Box: Read somewhere this would be exactly the same if you replace Medaka with Jesus.  Probably true, but still not terrible so I'll keep watching.  It'd be interesting to see who's more unrealistically perfect at everything they do, Medaka, or Marika from Mouretsu Pirates?

Upotte: I can't believe I actually watched the first episode of this.  The girls are guns?  Main heroine has to wear a t-back because her rifle has a skeleton stock?  Seriously, Japan?  If I was a gun nut maybe this would do it for me, but...no, even then I think I'd be scratching my head.

Natsuiro Kiseki: First episode kind of bland, but glad Saki and Natsumi made up in ep 2 and they didn't draw that out to the whole series.  It's getting to be more fun to watch as I get to know the cast, and that's a good sign.  I still have no idea where they'll go with the wishing...er...rock.  In real life they'd probably all wish for a billion dollars and the rest of the episodes would just be their slide into depravity and crack habits, but since this is anime I'm guessing they'll wish for a fun summer together or something.  What would Medaka do?  Probably solve world hunger.

Acchi Kocchi: Konata?  Did you hit your head on something, you're acting kind of funny.

Shining Hearts: I want a baguette right now.  A plot aside from baking bread would be good too, and I think that's coming up, so this could have potential.  The lead is...pretty bland though, he bakes bread and sleeps on a pirate ship like Jack Sparrow.  Keeping an eye on this, but expectations aren't too high.  Definitely looks pretty though, great character designs.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the Dead and Stuff: I want to like this, but honestly the first episode reminded me of why it ended up being kind of a chore to watch the first season towards the end.  Ayumu's harem is insanely big now, not quite Takaaki-level.  He's not a vampire, he's a zombie, so the Arararagi Theorem doesn't explain his popularity either.  And Ayumu panchira...DO NOT WANT.

Mouretsu Pirates: This series keeps me watching somehow in the hope it will rise above being...well, just above average, and it never manages to pull that off.  At this point I want to see Marika make a mistake, any mistake, and have to deal with the consequences, but it's not likely to happen.  Interstellar piracy and danger you'd think would go together well, but in this series they might as well be selling lemonade on the street corner.  Don't even get me started on how the Serenity arc ended.

2 comments:

Zyl said...

Nyaruko: I had a lot of trouble with the fork until the sanity token thing was explained to me. The wonders of Twitter. I'm mainly watching this show for Asumi Kana though.

Natsuiro Kiseki: Ditto, good sign that I'm enjoying this more as I get to know the girls better too. The chara designs remind me of a cross btw Railgun and Hanasaku Iroha.

Shining Hearts: There seem to be hints that the lead is troubled by his past. I was actually hoping this would go down the School Days route but that's not likely to say the least lol

Mouretsu Pirates: I'm just waiting for Grunhilde to kidnap Marika and get her to marry Gruier in a grand Serenity royal wedding bash.

suguru said...

Mouretsu Pirates: I'm just waiting for Grunhilde to kidnap Marika and get her to marry Gruier in a grand Serenity royal wedding bash.

That would be brilliant - probably unlikely, but it'd shoot up the charts in my book fast if they did :)